Last updated: May 21, 2013
Education and Training
After finishing his Bachelor's degree in Computer Science at University of Innsbruck in 2007, Waldemar Hummer moved to Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien) where he received his Master's in Software Engineering & Internet Computing in 2009. Additionally, he holds a BSc in Business Administration (Betriebswirtschaftslehre) from Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU Wien). Currently, he is a university assistant at the Distributed Systems Group, Vienna University of Technology, where he contributes to teaching and carries out scientific research for his PhD.
In addition to his university education, Waldemar Hummer has gained practical experience in a variety of research and software development projects. The most noteworthy activities include his research internship with IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in summer 2012, his stay with IBM Haifa Research Lab in summer 2010 for a joint research project with the S-Cube Network of Excellence, a summer internship with Bloomberg L.P. of London in 2008, a student research position at University of Innsbruck (Quality Engineering Group, Univ.Prof. Dr. Ruth Breu), and a software project carried out for BayernLB (Bayerische Landesbank) in 2006 and 2007. From October 2008 until August 2009, he worked as teaching assistant (tutor) for the Master's courses Advanved Internet Techniques and Distributed Systems Technologies.
Below are some research topics that I am currently interested in:
- Service-oriented Architectures (SOA), Web Services (WS)
- Protocols for Stateful Web Services
- Testing of Service-based Systems
- Service Composition
- Data on the Web
- Web Services Data Aggregation
- Event-Based Data Processing, Continuous Queries
- Complex Event Processing (CEP)
- Web Data Integration
- Quality of Service (QoS) Characteristics
- Fault Tolerance
- Scalability, Cloud-Based Elasticity
- Software-Engineering Techniques
- Domain-Specific Languages (DSLs)
- Model-Driven Development (MDD)
- Miscellaneous Topics
- Algorithms, Search Techniques in Artificial Intelligence
- Role-Based Access Control (RBAC)
- Annotations in the Semantic Web
- Distributed Databases, Search Engines
- Indenica (Oct. 2010 - ongoing): Indenica is a 7th Framework Programme EC project, whose aim is to 1) simplify the overall complexity of service platform development, 2) support platform convergence and interoperability, and 3) provide a reusable infrastructure for platform development, in order to support the automatic deployment and the monitoring, governance, and adaptation of services in a Virtual Service Platform.
- WS-Aggregation (Distributed Aggregation of Web Services Data)
- TeCoS (Test Coverage for Service Based Systems)
- SEPL (SErvice Protocol Language)
We use a Redmine project management tool to keep track of the progress of various projects. Check it out!
group by: generated by1. Journal Papers (7)2013 (5)Distributed and Parallel Databases(to appear).
Information and Software Technology.
Enforcement of Entailment Constraints in Distributed Service-Based Business Processes Bibtex
Software Testing, Verification and Reliability.
Testing of Data-Centric and Event-Based Dynamic Service Compositions Bibtex
Distributed and Parallel Databases.
IEEE Internet Computing.
2012 (1)IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC).
2011 (1)Distributed and Parallel Databases1--31.
SEPL - a domain-specific language and execution environment for protocols of stateful Web services Bibtex
2. Conference Proceedings (24)2013 (6)In International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE).
In International Conference on Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development (MODELSWARD), Special Track on Model-driven Software Adaptation (MODA).
In 1st International Workshop on Combining Modelling and Search-Based Software Engineering. Co-located with ICSE'13.
In Workshop on Advances in Model Based Testing @ ICST'13.
In 28th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'13), DADS Track.
Identifying Incompatible Service Implementations using Pooled Decision Trees Bibtex
In 17th IEEE International EDOC Conference.
Decisions, Models, and Monitoring - A Lifecycle Model for the Evolution of Service-Based Systems Bibtex
2012 (8)In 6th ACM International Conference on Distributed Event-Based Systems (DEBS'12).
Deriving a Unified Fault Taxonomy for Event-Based Systems Bibtex
In 2nd Int. Workshop on Performance Assessment and Auditing in Service Computing (co-located with ICSOC'12).
In 31st International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS), (poster paper).
In 27th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'12), Cloud Computing Track.
In IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD'12).
In IEEE International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA'12).
In Proceedings of the 2012 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'12), Trento, Italy.
In 4th International Workshop on Principles of Engineering Service-Oriented Systems (PESOS), co-located with ICSE'12.
2011 (8)In 7th International Conference on Next Generation Web Services Practices (NWeSP'11).
Distributed Continuous Queries Over Web Service Event Streams Bibtex
In 1st International Symposium on Secure Virtual Infrastructures (DOA-SVI'11), OnTheMove Federated Conferences.
Dynamic Migration of Processing Elements for Optimized Query Execution in Event-based Systems Bibtex
In 4th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD'11).
In 4th International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation (ICST'11).
Test Coverage of Data-Centric Dynamic Compositions in Service-Based Systems Bibtex
In 26th ACM SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing (SAC'11), SOAP Track.
WS-Aggregation: Distributed Aggregation of Web Services Data Bibtex
In 12th International Conference on Web Information Systems Engineering (WISE'11), (short paper).
In 16th ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies (SACMAT'11).
An Integrated Approach for Identity and Access Management in a SOA Context Bibtex
In 3rd International Workshop on Principles of Engineering Service-Oriented Systems (PESOS), co-located with ICSE'11.
Towards Efficient Measuring of Web Services API Coverage Bibtex
2010 (2)In 4th International Workshop on Web APIs and Services Mashups (Mashups'10), co-located with ECOWS 2010.
A Step-By-Step Debugging Technique To Facilitate Mashup Development and Maintenance Bibtex
In International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing (ICSOC'10).
3. Book Chapters (1)2010 (1)Service Engineering. European Research Results, 299--324, Springer.
4. Technical Reports (4)2012 (2)Technical Report (TUV-1841-2012-1), Vienna University of Technology.
Identifying Incompatible Implementations of Industry Standard Service Interfaces for Dependable Service-Based Applications Bibtex
2011 (2)Technical Report (TUV-1841-2011-01), Vienna University of Technology.
Cost-Based Optimization of Service Compositions Bibtex
Technical Report (TUV-1841-2011-04), Vienna University of Technology.
Distributed Continuous Data Aggregation Over Web Service Event Streams Bibtex
5. Theses (1)2009 (1)
Copyright Policy on Published Papers
Several papers are available for download. By following these links you agree to respect the copyrights of the papers.
The papers obtained from this Web page are included by the contributing authors as a means to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a non-commercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or by other copyright holders, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. It is understood that all persons copying this information will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
ID Type Title 184.260 VL 4.0 Distributed Systems Technologies 184.159 VL 2.0 Software Architectures 184.167 LU 2.0 Verteilte Systeme (Distributed Systems Lab) 184.715 PR 6.0 Projekt aus Software Engineering & Internet Computing 184.230 PR 4.0 Projektpraktikum (before winter term 2011/12) 184.233 PR 4.0 Informatikpraktikum 1 (before winter term 2011/12) 184.232 PR 4.0 Informatikpraktikum 2 (before winter term 2011/12) 184.254 PR 4.0 Praktikum aus Internet Computing (before winter term 2011/12) 184.242 PR 4.0 Freifachpraktikum 184.201 PR 4.0 Seminar mit Bachelorarbeit
If you are interested in doing a "Praktikum" or Master's thesis, do not hesitate to contact me.
Here you can find an overview of the research fields at our group, together with some current thesis topics and general information.
(Co-)Advised Student Projects:
Name Title Type Status Richard Leopold Extended Features for the Open Source SparkleShare File Sharing System (working title) Bachelor's Thesis In Progress Svetoslav Videnov Extended Features for the Open Source SparkleShare File Sharing System (working title) Bachelor's Thesis In Progress Simon Osim "One-Touch" NFC-Initiated File Sharing for Android Bachelor's Thesis In Progress Dominik Rauch Scalable and Efficient XML DOM Parsing - Midway between SAX and DOM Praktikum Finished Christian Macho Web-Based Collaborative Modeling Platform for Deriving Unified System and Fault Models Master's Thesis In Progress Alexandra Chirita Web-Browser Based Distributed Data Processing Bachelor's Thesis In Progress Oliver Hanappi Customizable Test Coverage Criteria for Web Service Compositions Bachelor's Thesis Finished Andrea Floh Dependable Event Processing over High Frequency Data Streams Master's Thesis In Progress Michael Strasser A Cloud-Based Simulation Environment for Scalable Event Processing Platforms (working title) Master's Thesis In Progress Martin Kirchner Executing Ad-Hoc Web Service API Coverage Queries in MongoDB/MapReduce Praktikum Finished Sebastian Burgstaller The Command Query Responsibility Segregation (CQRS) Pattern Bachelor's Thesis Finished Gilbert Fritz Design and Implementation of a SOA Test Bed for a Mid-Sized Company Praktikum Finished Eduard Szente Efficient Distributed Computation of Web Services API Coverage Metrics (working title) Master's Thesis In Progress Gerd Saurer Architecture and Patterns for XML-Based Distributed Complex Event Processing Systems (working title) Master's Thesis In Progress Michael Racz Web-Based Inspection and Management of Topologies in a Distributed System Praktikum Finished Michael Vodep System zur Feuerwehr-Einsatzverwaltung (in German) Praktikum Finished Gerd Saurer XML-Based Distributed Complex Event Processing Praktikum In Progress Daniel Domberger Testbed for Web Service Data Aggregation in Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) Praktikum Finished Michael Starzinger Preprocessor for Web Services Data Aggregation Query Language Praktikum Finished
- Conferences and Workshops
- 35th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2013), San Francisco, CA, USA, May 18-26, 2013
- Dagstuhl Seminar on Customizing Service Platforms, April 21-26, 2013, Dagstuhl, Germany
- 28th ACM SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing (SAC 2013), March 18-22, 2013, Coimbra, Portugal
- 7th International Conference on Next Generation Web Services Practices (NWeSP 2011), October 19-21, Salamanca, Spain
- 10th OnTheMove Federated Conferences (OTM 2011), October 17-21, Hersonissos, Crete, Greece
- 16th ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies (SACMAT 2011), Innsbruck, Austria
- 33rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2011), Honolulu (Hawaii), USA
- 26th ACM SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing (SAC 2011), Taichung, Taiwan
- 4th International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation (ICST 2011), Berlin, Germany
- 8th European Conference on Web Services (ECOWS 2010), Ayia Napa, Cyprus
- 10th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2010), Vienna, Austria
- JAXB-facets: The Java Java Architecture for XML Binding (JAXB, JSR222) is a framework which simplifies the mapping between Java objects and their XML representation. Although an often requested feature, the JAXB reference implementation (JAXB RI, http://jaxb.java.net/) currently does not support XSD facets for simple types (e.g., pattern, maxSize, fractionDigits etc.) in generated XML Schema files. We therefore provide a simple extension to JAXB RI to define facets for Java class attributes using an @Facets annotation, which are then considered in the the XML Schema generation procedure. Furthermore, our implementation supports @MinOccurs and @MaxOccurs annotations. These features are particularly useful when implementing Web services with JAX-WS (Java API for XML Web Services, JSR224, JAX-WS RI). The implementation can be downloaded here.