So, you have decided to write a Master Thesis. Well, if this isn’t:
Where do I find general Information about the Master Thesis?
What is the Diplomanden Seminar and what do I have to do there?
You have to give two short talks in the Diplomanden Seminar. One that explains the goal of your Master Thesis and one that shows what you have actually done.
Latex? I’ve heard about this, but what is it really?
Latex is a well known tool developed by evil computer scientists to torture Word users. If you still want to use it, you can find a Windows version here, a Windows Latex editor here, and Windows how to here. Mac users will be happy with TexShop. Linux users… well if you are a Linux user, you know by definition how to use latex…
Ok, is that all?
Of course not. There are a zillion other things to do – mostly administrative. So let’s start. First of all, you have to fill out a registration form. But that’s not all, you need:
- A Abstract (with signature of your advisor)
- A copy of Nachweis über das Vorstudium
- A copy of Studienblatt
The abstract should (must?) follow the structure below:
- Problem Statement (What is the problem? NOT: The problem is that I want to have a degree…)
- Expected Result (What is the output? Yet another p2p protocol? Or something completely different?)
- Methodology (You know what to do and now you have to explain how you want to do it)
- State-of-the-Art (References of things done by others in the area) – you must come up with four references to scientific papers.
An example can be found here.
That’s quite a lot. But how does it work on Infosys?
You are on the right track, if you follow the following steps:
- Get a thumps up for your abstract from Prof. Dustdar via E-Mail
- Provide the complete material (filled out registration form, abstract, copy of Nachweis über das Vorstudium, copy of Studienblatt) to the Infosys secretariat
- Your advisor will sign the material and it will be send to Prof. Eiter and afterwards to the Dekanat
- You’ll get the signed material via E-Mail
- After two or three weeks you can ask the Dekanat whether your proposal was accepted or not. You don’t get a notification of the acceptance, so you have to ask yourself. Only if there are questions concerning your proposal, you’ll be contacted.
Keep in mind to provide all material at once, this helps us to help you .