Born and brought up in TuyHoa, VietNam, currently I am an assistant professor at Distributed Systems Group, Institute of Information Systems, Vienna University of Technology, where I was a senior research scientist from March 2007 till April 2013. From March 2005 to February 2007, I was a postdoctoral research scientist at Distributed and Parallel Systems Group, University of Innsbruck. From Nov 2000 to February 2005, I was a researcher at Software Science Group, Institute for Scientific Computing, University of Vienna. Before that, I worked as an assistant lecturer and a researcher in Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering, HCMC University of Technology, Vietnam from 1998 to 2000.
I received a university degree of engineer in computer science and engineering in 1998, from HoChiMinh City University of Technology, and a PhD in computer science in 2005 and a Habilitation in practical computer science in 2013, both from Vienna University of Technology.
Professional Activities for Communities
As a Reviewer, PC member, Session/Workshop/Conference Organizer, Chair, Editor:
- Full list
- Workshop cochair, 2nd International Workshop on Service Clouds in the Enterprise and Beyond (co-located with ICSOC'13)
- Track chair, Service Oriented Pervasive Computing, The 4th International Conference on Emerging Ubiquitous Systems and Pervasive Networks October 21-24, 2013, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
- Program vice chair, 10th International Conference on Mobile Web Information Systems (MobiWIS 2013), August 26-28 2013, Cyprus
- Current TPC member: The 10th IEEE International Conference on e-Business Engineering (ICEBE 2013), September 11-13, 2013, Coventry, UK, The IEEE 2nd International Congress on Big Data, June 27-July 2, 2013, Santa Clara Marriott, CA, USA, The 2013 International Workshop on High Performance Data Intensive Computing (HPDIC2013), In Conjunction with IEEE IPDPS 2013, Boston, Massachusetts, USA May 24, 2013, Cooperative Systems in Heterogeneous Environments (COSYS) Track, Track of the 28th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2013), March 18-22, 2013, Coimbra, Portugal
My research interests are various fields pertained to distributed and parallel systems with an applied, systems-oriented focus. My main research interest focuses on obtaining an understanding of the behaviour and quality of distributed and parallel applications and systems through monitoring and analysis. My research has been applied to: Performance Analysis Techniques and Tools for Distributed and Parallel Systems, Parallel Processing and Grid Computing, Internet Technologies and Web Services, Workflows and Collaborative Computing, Autonomic Computing and Context-Awareness. Furthermore, i am interested in (free) ICT solutions for (under) developing countries.
- In Google Scholar
- Recent Publications. All publications: By topics or By types
- Project deliverables, technical reports, and other publications
- Selected invited talks
- Slides in Slideshare.net
I am currently involving in the following projects as a senior researcher, lead architect/developer, and team/site leader
- SmartSociety: "Hybrid and Diversity-Aware Collective Adaptive Systems: When People Meet Machines to Build a Smarter Society", FP7 FET, EU funded, Jan 2013-Dec 2016.
- CELAR: Automatic, Multi-grained Elasticity-provisioning for the Cloud, EU funded, Oct 2012 - Sep 2015
- Pacific Controls Cloud Computing Research Lab.
- Past projects
For recent tools/frameworks, check:
- The Vienna Elastic Computing Model
- Quality of Data for Simulation Workflows: Models, Techniques and Applications
- SECO2 - Service Contract Compatibility
- ESCAPE (Emergency Situation, Context Awareness, Pervasive Environment)
- SOD1 - Service-Oriented Data and Computation Fusion
Below are some tools I have developed in the ASKALON environment and various projects:
- DIPAS: distributed performance analysis service for workflows. Software download site
- SCALEA: a performance instrumentation, measurement, analysis and visualization system.
- SISPROFILING library: a library measures profiling information in OpenMP, MPI and OpenMP/MPI programs.
- SCALEA-G: a unified performance monitoring and analysis system for the Grid.
- PERFONTO: an ontology for describing performance data
Recent Research Visits
- Mar-May 2010, 3 weeks research visit at Stuttgart Research Centre for Simulation Technology and Cluster of Excellence ~Simulation Technology~ (SimTech) hosted by Prof. Frank Leymann
Teaching and Students
I have a couple of topics on elastic computing, Sustainable Computing, service-oriented data and computation fusion, and service engineering analytics for prospective students. Just drop me a line or stop by my office if you are interested in open topics.
Current involved Doctoral colleges:
Current involved teaching activities included:
- Advanced Services Engineering, WS 2012, forthcoming
- Advanced Concepts in Distributed Systems Research (SS 2011, SS 2012), the Vienna PhD School of Informatics.
- Advanced Topics in Service-Oriented Computing and Cloud Computing, (WS 2010, WS 2011), the Vienna PhD School of Informatics.
- Context-aware Computing (WS 2009), the Vienna PhD School of Informatics.
- Seminar on Distributed Systems (SS2013, SS2012, SS2011, SS2010, SS 2009, SS 2008)
Students and visitors:
- Current research students
- Past PhD students: I was an unofficially assistant supervisor for the following PhD students:
- Atif Manzoor: Quality of context in pervasive systems: models, techniques, and applications. PhD promotor/advisor: Schahram Dustdar. Graduation: 2010.
- My PhD Internships and Research visitors:
- Aitor Murguzur,IK4-Ikerlan Research Center and Mondragon University
- Dr. Hoa Khanh Dam, University of Wollongong, August 2012, on engineering hybrid cloud services
- Dr. Tran-Vu Pham, Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering, HoChiMinh City University of Technology, July 2011, on elastic high performance applications on Clouds
- Michael Reiter, IAAS and SIMTECH, University of Stuttgart, Nov 2010, on quality-aware workflow optimization
- Gangadharan G.R. University of Trento (July-September 2007) on service licensing compatibility in Service-oriented Computing (SOC).
- Marco Comerio, UniversitÓ degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca (June-July, 2009), on service contract compatibility in Service-oriented Computing (SOC).
- Complete list of students under my supervision
Here is my travel plan
Last modified: Wed Jun 5 15:48:53 CEST 2013 by Hong-Linh Truong