NOTE: The information on this page is outdated. Starting from winter term 2013/2014 all course information and communication will be handled via TUWEL.
- 06.08.2012: Initial setup of the Course Web site. Please note that most of the information is still preliminary and not up-to-date.
- 04.10.2012: Kick-off meeting slides are online.
- 29.10.2012: The group registration for assignment 2 will be activated on (or slightly before) October 30, 18:00. See the forum topic for more details.
- 30.10.2012: registration for the Lab 1 interviews will be activated in the DSG Teaching Tool on 31.10.2012 at roughly 12:00 noon. See the forum topic for more details.
- 2.11.2012: Everyone who sent us an MD5 hash of their zip file, please upload your solution in the teaching tool until 18:00 today. (Note: Do not re-submit your solution if you have not sent a corresponding MD5 hash in time.)
- 5.11.2012: If your assignment 1 interview is on 6.11., please check the updated location in the teaching tool! It turns out that the PC room is available until 15:30, which means that all slots before 15:30 can take place in the DSLab, and only the slots on or after 15:30 are moved to the library on the 3rd floor.
- 15.11.2012: New tutor availability dates have been added!
- 30.11.2012: Please register for the interviews of assignment 2 in the DSG Teaching Tool. All/both group members need to be present at the interview. However, note that only one person from each group should register for the interview slot!
- 13.12.2012: New tutor availability dates have been added!
- 06.01.2013: New (final) tutor availability dates have been added!
- 10.01.2013: Important information about the Lab Test (23.01.2013) has been posted in the forum!
- 10.01.2013: If you were unable to upload your solution, make sure you send us an MD5 hash of your solution zip file today (via email)!
- 11.01.2013: Please do not forget to upload your solution, if you have not done so already (please only the solution file that matches your MD5 hash).
- 11.01.2013: You may now register for the Lab Test in the Teaching Tool.
- 13.01.2013: Please make sure that only ONE group member registers for the Lab3 interview slot!
- 17.01.2013: Please make sure that you register for the Lab Test before Sunday, 20.01.2013, 23:59! We need to prepare a detailed timeline, set up the accounts on the Test machines etc. Therefore, Sunday is a firm deadline for the registration!
- 24.01.2013: The date for the make-up test has been set for 01.02.2013, 14.00 (TILAB, Treitlstrasse). ONLY students who did not participate in the main test AND have shown us a medical confirmation of illness are entitled to take the test! The registration in the teaching tool will be opened next week.
- 30.01.2013: The results of the Lab test are now available in the DSG Teaching Tool. The date for the inspection (Einsichtnahme) is Monday, 04.02.2013, 14:00-15:00, DSLab (Argentinierstrasse 8, basement).
- 05.02.2013: The results of the make-up Lab test are now available in the DSG Teaching Tool. The date for the inspection (Einsichtnahme) is Wednesday, 06.02.2013, 15:00, DSLab (Argentinierstrasse 8, basement).
The distributed systems lab (DSLab) covers the basic principles and foundations of network and distributed applications. The main topics that are covered are: sockets programming, communication, concurrency, remote procedure calls (RMI), distributed services and security of distributed systems.
- good programming knowledge in Java (I/O, reading from standard input and output, basic data structures, string manipulation)
- basic operating system knowledge (Linux, Windows)
- an understanding for the high-level concepts presented in the lecture